|People Involved||Hill, Ruth; Dees, Wacil; McCord, Mary; Fleming, Katherine; Hilburn, Sam;|
|Organizations Involved||Arden Club; Hippodrome Theater; Southern Methodist University;|
The meeting was called to order by the president.
The most interesting part of these minutes is the mentioning of the Hippodrome Theatre. It opened in 1913 as a movie theater. However, the owners quickly realized that the 1200 capacity theatre was more profitable as used as a stage than a motion picture theatre. The types of performances that this building held ranged greatly. They showed spectacular movies, and motion pictures of operas, while also displaying Minstrel shows and later on Burlesque shows with dancers described as “Hootchy kootchy”. Ultimately, the building was torn down in 1960 and is today the land on Elm Street where it once stood is now home to the Renaissance Tower.